Winter Parking Ban
- Published: December 03 2018 16:02
Winter Parking Regulations for 2018-19
Whereas due to the congestion on the streets and highways in the communities of Westville and Stellarton caused by vehicular and pedestrian traffic and the limitation on the free use of the streets liable to be caused by the presence of snow and ice thereon and notwithstanding that certain traffic signs have been erected in these communities prohibiting or permitting vehicles to park or stand upon any street during the hours stated thereon:
(a) No person shall park or leave standing any vehicle upon any street in these communities between the hours of 01:00 a.m. and 07:00 a.m. of the same day.
(b) No owner, driver or person having control or custody of any vehicle shall between the 1st day of December, 2018 and the 15th day of April, 2019, park or leave unattended by a person authorized to move and capable of operating the same upon any street in the above manner as to hinder, inconvenience or prevent removal or snow or ice from such highway or street.
(c) No owner, driver or person having control or custody of any vehicle shall during the period from one hour after any snow storm has commenced to two hours after such snow storm has stopped, park the vehicle if it is unattended by a person authorized to move and capable of operating the same, upon any street in these communities.
Nothing in the foregoing shall apply to:
1. A motor vehicle of a physician or surgeon parked reasonably near his/her office or residence and immediately available for professional calls.
2. A motor vehicle parked by a physician or surgeon who is actually engaged in his/her professional occupation and reasonably near where he/she is so engaged.
3. A motor vehicle parked by an operator who is actually engaged in discharging his/her duties as a Police Officer or a member of the police or the armed services.
4. A motor vehicle parked by an operator who is actually engaged in discharging his/her duties as a member of a Fire Department.
5. A commercial vehicle parked by an operator for the purpose of loading or unloading merchandise.
6. A motor vehicle belonging to a public utility company or corporation parked reasonably near the residence of an operator and immediately available for emergency calls.
It shall be an offence for any person to fail to comply with these regulations and such person will be liable to a penalty as provided by Section 293 of the Motor Vehicle Act. No person shall remove or permit to be removed snow or ice from a property onto a public street, sidewalk or other public place. Businesses are reminded that it is your responsibility to remove all snow and ice from the sidewalk abutting their property including the street corner. Your participation is essential for the safety of all pedestrians particularly school children and senior citizens during the winter months.
Towns of Westville and Stellarton