Updates from Town Council
- Published: June 10 2020 08:32
STELLARTON, NOVA SCOTIA – Stellarton Town Council held their regularly scheduled June council meeting on June 8.
Council made the following decisions:
1. Summer recreation programs will be cancelled for the 2020 year.
- We were excited to have partnered with Dream Candy to provide recreation programming for this summer.
- With COVID-19 restrictions in place and strict limitations on distancing, gathering, sanitizing, etc., In consultation with Dream Candy and under Provincial guidelines, Council felt it was the safest decision to cancel these entirely.
2. Voting for the 2020 municipal election will be telephone and electronic only.
- To help reduce the potential spread of the second wave of COVID-19, the Town of Stellarton will not have in-person ballot voting for the 2020 municipal election.
- This is strictly for the 2020 election and does not mean that future elections will be required to be held this way.
- An accessible polling station will be set up at a location within Stellarton (to be determined) for those that may need assistance.
3. Park display for 2020 high school graduates.
- The Town will be putting a decorative display at the gazebo in Allan Park for high school students to take “prom” photos.
- Individuals who utilize this space will need to follow the provincial health and safety directives to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This includes but isn’t limited to: Physical distancing of 6ft or 2m with anyone outside of their immediate household bubble, groups limited to 10 or fewer individuals, and individuals are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer and face masks.
- Additional information and details will be shared in the near future.
3. Offering a one-time tax financing policy to residential and commercial property owners negatively affected by COVID-19.
- Residents who believe they are eligible can apply by filling out an online form from: https://nspropertytaxprogram.ca/. The deadline to apply is June 30, 2020.
- Additional information on the Tax Financing Policy can be found here: Stellarton Tax Financing Policy